As you have read in my earlier posts, portable basketball goals vary in a few details which will be a factor in the cost. In this post I simplify the pricing differences so you will have a better understanding what you are getting for your budget. I will not go into detail about the material etc as I’ve already mentioned that in my previous post. If you didn’t read my blog about the differences in materials click here to read.
Material of the Backboard
The first difference in the pricing of portable basketball goals comes from the material the backboard is made of. That material defines how rigid and durable the goal will be.
- Molded plastic: Cheaper material so the pricing will be extremely low. $60- $100
- Acrylic goals: Far more durable than molded plastic. The pricing of these goals can range from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand.
- Polycarbonate basketball backboards: Even more durable than the acrylic backboards in the lower price ranges. The average price is very similar to the acrylic. $200 – $2000
- Glass backboard: Usually found on a premium basketball goal. You can find them starting at over $1000 then heading up to over $13,000 for the ones for gyms and schools.
Size of the Backboard
Yes, size does matter here. You want to go with the largest backboard your budget allows. Just to compare, the NBA regulation size backboards are 72 inches wide, 42 inches high, half an inch thick and are made of glass.
- 72 inches: Very high premium price for this portable basketball system. I found one for over $20,000.
- 60 inches: For around a $1000 you can find a 60 inch backboard that you will be more than happy with.
- 54 inches: The average range is from $400 and up, although you can find some lower.
- 44-48 inches: For your kids a 44 or 48 inch should work which will keep the price down below $100.
Size, Shape and Pieces of the Pole
Size, shape, and the number of pieces of the pole all factor into the price. With most of the portable basketball goals you will find round poles and comparably the same size. As you get into high end portable basketball hoops all three factors begin to change. Since most of us are not looking for the premium gym goal I won’t go into any more detail.
How the goal adjusts definitely plays into the price. For example: you may find an adjustable basketball goal that adusts like 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10, and others that adjusts in even smaller increments such as 7.7 or 8.3. These include the telescoping pole, broom stick adjust, trigger handle, pneumatic adjust, and crank handle. The price goes up in the order I listed them. To learn more about these systems click here to read my earlier blog on adjustment mechanisms.
To summarize, the material the portable goals are made from and the size of the backboard are the biggest determining factors as to the cost you will pay. Decide what is most important to you, and if it fits into your budget, focus on those basketball goals for selection.
To Read The Full Review Click Here Or To To See A Full List Of Portable Basketball Goals And Their Pricing – CLICK HERE
Did you find this helpful? If so please share with others by clicking on one of the links below.